Monday, March 28, 2011

Cream of Broccoli Soup

Saturday night I went to my sister-in laws 30th birthday party. Sunday I was a hung over mess. I did manage to make some soup with the help of my amazing husband.(He did all the chopping.)  I thought it was pretty damn good. Don't cry, I'll share.


Hangover Cream of Broccoli Soup

1 large white onion chopped
1-2 T olive oil
1 parsnip peeled and chopped
2 big bunches of broccoli (cut the florets pretty small,  peel the stocks and do a rough chop on them keep them separate)
6 or more cups of veggie broth (I make my own or use this great bouillon ,you could use store bought too)
2 t or more to taste of dried dill weed
2 t of oregano
2 cloves garlic minced
s & p to taste
a couple T of almond milk (or whatever non-dairy milk floats your boat)
2 small Yukon gold potatoes, or 1 mammoth one cut into smaller chunks
1/2 C chopped parsley
1 C dry white wine (optional , you can just add the stock instead BUT if you do that, I would suggest a squeeze of lemon juice)

Heat olive oil over medium high heat in a good sized pot. Add the onions, parsnip, dill and oregano and a dash of salt and pepper and cook until the onions and parsnips are soft.
 Add the garlic and cook for about 1 minute. (garlic is you friend until you burn it, then garlic is your mortal enemy, so careful not to burn it)
Now for my favorite part... stand back a little and pour in the wine, and deglaze!
Let the wine cook down to about half of what you put in, then add the stock and the broccoli stems along with the parsley and the potato. Taste for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if needed.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat cover and simmer for about 25-30 min until all veggies in the soup are tender.
Take the soup off the heat and allow to cool for a little bit, then working in batches puree the soup until smooth.
Add the almond milk to get to the consistency you would like your soup at. If it is fine as is, then you don't have to add any.
Put the soup back in the pan and add the broccoli florets cook over a medium low heat covered stirring frequently until the florets are cooked to you liking.

No comments:

Post a Comment